Smoothie bowls, known here as “SIABs,” are one of my favorite breakfasts. If you’re on the go, a traditional tumbler with a straw is ideal, but at home, I prefer to eat my smoothies soup style with a spoon.
1. It slows me down. Slurping a smoothie up small spoonful by small spoonful is a lot harder than chugging it down or even using a straw. I appreciate that I savor the meal a bit longer.
2. Toppings!! You can’t add anything crunchy and then use a straw. Granola is the best of all. I haven’t had any granola on hand lately, but cereal, crumbled crunchy things or nuts make great toppings. So do fresh fruit and seeds like flax, hemp and chia.
3. Magic shell. If you take coconut butter and melt it down (in hot water or a microwave) and then drizzle it on a cold smoothie, it makes a lovely magic shell topping. Crunch away! If you don’t have coconut butter, melted nut or seed butter drizzle makes a great sauce, but it won’t harden.
4. Satiety. The more food behaviors I tick off in one meal, the more satisfied I am. So just drinking a meal doesn’t leave me as satisfied as using a spoon, watching what I’m eating, and chewing. Therefore I am psychologically more satisfied after eating a SIAB than drinking one.
5. You can pack so much goodness inside. This isn’t really an argument for bowls but just for smoothies in general over more classic breakfasts like cereal with milk. I’ve never been one for veggie scrambles or salsa tacos for breakfast, but I can pack some greens into my smoothies! My favorite smoothie of late is as follows:
- 1 cup organic cow’s milk (for protein!)
- 1.5 cups fresh baby spinach (for greens!)
- 1 frozen banana (for fiber and sweetness!)
- 1 small handful berries (for antioxidants!)
- 1 half scoop Vega Coconut Almond (for the most amazing flavor!)
The frozen banana makes it fluffy. The greens and berries are hidden inside. The milk provides creamy staying power and the Vega just has such a great flavor with a hint of coconut.
Topped with some crunchy corn Chex : )
What’s your favorite smoothie in a bowl combo?