Here’s my whole wheat pizza dough recipe for a made-from-scratch healthy pizza crust!
We all know that the crust makes the pizza!
I personally love a whole wheat crust for added nutrition and flavor. Add some vegetables and lycopene-dense sauce on top and you have yourself a healthy all-in-one dinner!
This whole wheat pizza dough recipe was developed for the avid baker with a biga and preferment. Once your crust is ready for baking, check out this post: How To Grill Pizza!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
Biga is a type of pre-fermentation used in Italian baking.
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 115g water
- 5g salt (<1 tsp)
- 75g whole wheat flour
- 60g water
- 1.5g instant yeast (<½ tsp)
- The Rest
- 25g whole wheat flour
- 25g honey or molasses (1 tbsp.)
- 12.5g olive oil (1 tbsp.)
How to make whole wheat pizza dough from scratch
1. Stir all ingredients for biga and cover.
2. Stir all ingredients for preferment and cover. (If using active dry yeast, add a full ½ tsp yeast to the water, warmed, and let sit for 15 minutes before adding flour.)
3. Let sit, at room temperature, for 1-12 hours.
4. In a stand mixer outfitted with a dough hook, add the preferment and then the biga on top, in chunks.
5. Add the honey and olive oil, and then the extra flour.
6. Stir on speed 1 until just combined, about one minute, and then on speed 3-4 for about 3 minutes.
7. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and knead by hand for a few minutes.
8. Cover the dough and either place in the fridge for at least six hours or let it rise for at least one hour.
9. If you refrigerate the dough, let it come to room temperature for 1-2 hours before baking.
10. Preheat your oven to 500*.
11. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a thin circle.
12. Add toppings and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until crust has lightly browned.