The savory vegetarian dressing sports little sweet bits of fig dotted throughout nutty wild rice, hearty mushrooms and gooey sourdough bread.
Figgy Wild Rice, Mushroom, & Sourdough Dressing
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice about 1 cup cooked
- 1 loaf of couple-days-old sourdough bread left out to dry cut into cubes yielding about 6 cups [Best if homemade or from San Francisco!]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 cups fresh cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped, about 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups broth of your choice turkey drippings are especially good!
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped dried figs
- Cook wild rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Combine bread, figs and walnuts in a very large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender.
- Add cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Pour into bread mixture. Toss to evenly combine.
- Transfer dressing into large 2 and 3/4 quart Le Creuset casserole dish.
- Pour in broth.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake for about 30 minutes
- Remove lid or file and bake 10 more minutes, or until top is crispy.