The inspiration for this recipe came from Country Living magazine: Honey-Baked Beans.
Here’s our version:
- 2 bacon strips
- 1 big clove garlic, pressed
- 1 carrot, diced
- ~1/2 cup dry navy beans, cooked (I cooked them yesterday. This was probably 2 cups of beans, so maybe 1.5 – 2 cans’ worth?)
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 oz sherry (the real deal)
- Some veggie broth (he didn’t specify, but I’d guess maybe he added 1/2 a cup or so?)
- Spices, including cinnamon, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until it’s slightly brown. Add all remaining ingredients.
- Stir in beans, increase heat to high, and bring mixture to a slight boil. Put into oven and bake, uncovered, until nice and hot, 20-25 minutes.
SO GOOD!!!! Filling, sweet and nutritious!