Figgy Wild Rice, Mushroom, & Sourdough Dressing
The savory vegetarian dressing sports little sweet bits of fig dotted throughout nutty wild rice, hearty mushrooms and gooey sourdough bread.
Servings 8 Servings
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice about 1 cup cooked
- 1 loaf of couple-days-old sourdough bread left out to dry cut into cubes yielding about 6 cups [Best if homemade or from San Francisco!]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 cups fresh cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped, about 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups broth of your choice turkey drippings are especially good!
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup chopped dried figs
Cook wild rice according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 350*
Combine bread, figs and walnuts in a very large mixing bowl.
Melt butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add celery and cook for 3 minutes.
Add garlic, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender.
Add cooked rice and stir to combine.
Pour into bread mixture. Toss to evenly combine.
Transfer dressing into large 2 and 3/4 quart Le Creuset casserole dish.
Pour in broth.
Cover with lid or foil and bake for about 30 minutes
Remove lid or file and bake 10 more minutes, or until top is crispy.