Better Than Fried Okra
- Fresh okra - about a pint of pods.
- 1-2 eggs, depending on how much you're making
- Course ground cornmeal - enough to roll the okra around in. Maybe start with a cup? Add more if you need more.
- Kosher salt to taste - perhaps a tsp
- Seasonings of your choice - we like creole, cayenne, smoked paprika or herbs.
- Okra comes in pods, which you’ll want to cut into bite-sized pieces.
- They have a gooey, slimy inside, so don’t worry you got a bad one. It’s great for thickening dishes!
- Dip those in a mixture of egg
- And then roll them into some cornmeal (blue or yellow) mixed with salt and seasonings
- Spread onto a baking sheet topped with a wire rack (you can do this without the rack, but it lets more air flow and more even cooking)
- And bake at 400* for about 30 minutes, until they start to crisp and brown.
Recipe by Kath Eats Real Food at https://www.katheats.com/song-of-the-south