Ham, Lentil, & Pea Soup
This soup will make your house smell incredible! It’s hearty and turns fall-off-the-bone delicious in an hour.
- 1.5 cups of lentils + split peas mixed (or 100% of one or the other!)
- 2 carrot stalks
- 2 celeries
- 1 lb smoked pork shank or ham bone leftover from a holiday!
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 T chopped rosemary
- 1 T butter
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- Sautee celery and carrot in butter until soft, then add garlic for 2 more minutes until garlic browns.
- Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for at least an hour, occasionally stirring, until desired thickness.
- In our ham’s case, we began by chopping a good bit of the meat off the bone, and then chopping this into smaller bits. This was to expose more of the meat and bone to the soup.
- After it had simmered for 30 minutes, the rest of the meat came off the bone easily. We chopped it, and then returned everything to the pot to finish cooking.
- When all was said and done, we mashed it a bit.
- Top with croutons or greek yogurt!
Recipe by Kath Eats Real Food at https://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/ham-lentil-pea-soup