How was your weekend? Cold? Hot? Rainy? Full of ice cream and sprinkles and hamburgers and craft brew?
Our weekend started at lunchtime on Friday when we headed over to Whole Foods for a little treat.
I received a press release a few weeks ago that our store’s cheesemonger Nadjeeb Chouaf had won second place in the fourth annual Cheesemonger Invitational. He competed against more than 50 cheesemongers for the honor. Upon meeting Nadjeeb, I could see why. He knows a ton about cheese!
Nadjeeb put together a cheese plate for us to taste (Matt joined me on his lunch
bread break) and Mazen enjoyed a few samples as well!
- Landaff by Landaff Creamery and aged by Cellars at Jasper Hill. This cheese had a wonderful texture with a mix of sweet and sour flavors. We enjoyed it with sour cherries which brought out the flavors with their sweetness.
- Esmontonian by Caromont Farm in Esmont, VA. A local cheese (I love everything Caromont makes, especially their Bloomsbury, which I eat all the time). This was an aged raw goat cheese washed with viognier vinegar. Loved the feta-like texture. We tasted it with some local Potter’s Craft Cider.
- Reblochon. A French stinky cheese that was my favorite of the day! Kind of brie-ish in texture with a really smooth buttery mouthfeel. We tasted the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale by Boulevard Brewing alongside and loved the pairing.
- Cabot Clothbound Cheddar made by and aged by Cellars at Jasper Hill. This was a classic amazing white cheddar – slightly bacony with notes of caramel. Served with Virginia Chutney Co. Pepper Jelly.
- Grayson made by Meadowcreek Farm in Galax, VA. Another local cheese with a soft texture served on Cranberry Hazelnut Raincoast Crisp with Spicy Plum Jelly from Virginia Chutney Co. It was nutty and slightly sweet and is up for a pretty famous cheese award!
- Caveman Blue by Rogue Creamery in Central Point, OR. Ahhhh I love blue cheese!! Nadjeeb had me at “vanilla butterscotch flavor with a butter texture.” We tasted it atop a chocolate cover fig and a sip of Bell’s Porter. An amazing end to the tasting!
Look for these at your local cheese shops. Thanks to Nadjeeb for the hospitality. A little bird told me that he is actually staring his own cheese shop here in town inside of Milli Joe Coffee called Flora Artisanal Cheese!
Friday night we took a stab at replicating the Mono Loco Spice-a-ritas we love so much. SUCCESS! I’ll be sharing the recipe next week : )
We had a simple dinner at home of leftovers – chicken + bean bake, rolls, salads, green beans from our canned stash and called it an early night. We are finished with 6 seasons of Mad Men. So sad! When does season 7 start?
Saturday AM I had another of my delicious Virginia roll egg sandwiches with more juicy peach. Can’t eat enough peach!
And then we took off for the market. Smile M!!
We said hi to Sam, who was working the GH booth
Bought a variety of things, including this gorgeous bouquet
And returned just in time for nap. Sadly Matt had to work all day long. And by all day I mean from 3:30am to 5:30pm. I took advantage by working hard myself so hopefully we could both take Sunday off.
Maze and I hunkered down as rain came through.
And swept across McIntire Road! Yikes. They are doing construction there and I wonder if the drains were not in place.
Saturday evening we were ready for a little excitement and met some friends over at Champion. We hadn’t been in a while and too many beers had come and gone in our absence!
Pit stop at the park on our way. Notice the weather had drastically improved!
I enjoyed a flight – including a lavender white beer that I loved!
The other half of that photo:
Sunday morning breakfast: yogurt, berries, peach, chia seeds and torn pieces of Apple Scrapple bread
I went out to do a little shopping for a new pair of silver sandals. I have worn my second pair of these guys on the left to the GROUND. I would love another pair but the Marshalls where I bought them is all out. Can’t find them online! Please help. I bought the flip flops on the right as a compromise but they aren’t as versatile. I’m looking for cork-sole, silver, sparkly, super comfy sandals with a tinnnny bit of wedge in the heel. The ones on the left are Modabella brand.
Hi little bean!
Sunday lunch: smoked herring salads with tomato sandwiches!
I went to a power yoga class in the afternoon (Rinse!) and came home to dinner on the table. Thanks Matt!! <3
Matt made our summer veggie gratin and roasted tofu with Bone Suckin’ Sauce
Mazen decided he does not care for summer squash very much…
Hope you had a great weekend!