Spring might be around the corner here.
And so is the second trimester. I’m 12 weeks now and two of my apps say that I have hit the second tri. Two others say I have a week to go.
Who’s right? I’m going to say I am THERE because I actually went out for Whole Foods salad bar for lunch! Maybe I am turning the corner of these food aversions…
After Body Pump, Faith met me for a walk home and we stopped into Blue Ridge Country Store, which has a WF-like salad bar. I browsed over the offerings and the prepared salads, fruits and the mixed veggie salads sounded appealing! I didn’t have my wallet or I would have just gotten something there, but since I had to go to the grocery store anyways today, I decided to go for lunch.
A craving for any kind of health food had to be seized! “For the baby!!”
I surprised myself with what went into my bowl.
Baby spinach base (!?), multiple prepared veggie-based salads (like curried cauliflower), lots of cooked veggies like green beans and squash, tofu & tempeh salads
Garlicky KALE!!?!? It was good!!
But of course the backside of my container was filled with a few comfort foods: BBQ, corn casserole and mac n cheese. I nearly squealed when I saw the mac and cheese : )
My favorite Honest Tea to drink!
After eating (and listening to a Pregtastic Podcast about sex during and after pregnancy! Even with headphones on, I think I was blushing with other customers at my table!), I cruised the aisles. For once I wasn’t in a hurry so I took my time browsing. My favorite pastime!
Also not something one should do with pregnancy cravings.
Here’s my regular loot:
- Cereal (a new 365 kind with a simple ingredient list) and morning Oh’s
- Apples, pear
- Mushrooms (one of the few veggies I like)
- Frozen okra (!?)
- Yogurt/cottage cheese
- Tomato paste
And then there were the pregnancy cravings:
- Mac and cheese (the deluxe style kind!)
- Frozen waffles!?! (I saw Shu Box eat some slathered in peanut butter and something inside of me sparked. Also childhood comfort food. I compared about 5 brands and the Kashi 7 Grain had the best ingredient list)
- Bone Suckin’ Sauce (that BBQ craving is strong)
- Prenatals (ha!)
- Multiple juices/beverages (juices aren’t normally something I would buy, but I’m finding the blood sugar issues in pregnancy are often cured by a small splash of juice – esp. first thing in the morning. I’m trying those Odwalla ones for the first time. Oh and the POM is to pretend its wine!)
- Super expensive grass-fed ice cream!
- Organic, green, ethical Tera’s Whey protein powder (giving this kind a try – for increased protein needs. Normally I’d just use real food, but needs are super high in pregnancy so it’s harder to get them all without eating tons of beans/meat. This kind is expensive, but looks like the most ethical whey out there. Also might try plant-based like Vega but I’ve wanted to try this bourbon vanilla for a while!)
Of course for dessert I tasted the Jeni’s ice cream. You know how when you return from the grocery store the top of the rim is all melty? That’s the best bite you’ll have! Although they had the Salted Caramel, I decided to try the Brown Butter Almond Brittle. It is delicious, but not $9.99 delicious (the Salted Caramel is!)
So while I may have peeked around the second trimester corner, I’d say pregnancy cravings are still in full swing : )