Spicy Cajun Shrimp + Polenta with Mustard Greens
Another great dinner!! I decided it was time to try one of those polenta rolls you see in the produce section of the grocery store. We had frozen shrimp on hand, and with shrimp and grits being a famous combo, they seemed to be the most appropriate complement. I made a spicy BBQ sauce to go on top that was FABULOUS!!
The mustard greens, however, were quite disappointing. They were VERY bitter and it didn’t help that we added a vinegary mustard and lime juice to them for flavoring. I jumped up during dinner and added a tsp of brown sugar to balance the bitterness and they were much improved. I had wanted to add honey, but the husband used it all in his breads today!
But first, I had a single serving bottle of white wine while cooking!!
- For the polenta: cut into rounds. Grill
- For the shrimp: Thaw. Peel. Grill.
- For the sauce: Saute 2 cups frozen bell peppers (my new great quick fix find!) with 2 cloves garlic. When cooked through, add 2 tbsp pickled jalapeno, 1/2 a can tomato paste, 1 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp wochestershire sauce, a pinch of cumin, a pinch of chili powder, a pinch red pepper flakes and the juice of one whole lime. It turned out to be this wonderful thick smokey sauce. Drool!
- For the mustard greens: We sauteed these in about 1 tsp of olive oil (which we totally didn’t need – just use cooking spray!) along with 2 cloves garlic and added dijon mustard and lime juice. Noted above, I would leave these out and switch to honey! Here’s how much greens we started with – I had to wash them in two batches!
The shrunken down result:
While the green side of the plate was a bit disappointing, the red side of the plate was SOOO good! We ended up topping it all with a sprinkle of Asiago -
All together with a vitamin and clean placemat -
This dinner (EXcluding wine) was about 420 kcal, 13 grams fiber and 32 grams protein.
I went to the mall today to return something I ordered from Land’s End and ended up doing a little shopping. I got some khakis at New York and Co. BOGO half off and some aromatherapy bubble bath from Bath and Body Works – the Lavender Vanilla and Jasmine Vanilla (both were on sale for $5!). I can’t WAIT to take a bath tonight!!!
Christmas Is Officially Over
……….the egg nog ice cream is gone!!
I made a homemade cobbler for dessert – I was in an ice cream mood! 3/4 cup Edy’s Egg Nog, 1/2 a cup of hot frozen berries and 2 honey graham sticks, crushed. Heavenly!
The only problem is I ate it way too fast because it was melting and delicious!
- A small breakfast
- Workout and Brunch with mother in law
- Grocery store
- Soup Dinner with some friends passing through