Today has been so strange!!
No I didn’t miss my morning post from some wild hangover [I only had two beers last night guys!]
In fact, I was up at 5:45 to head to the GYM! Mr. Stormy, a blog reader, hosted me for "First Fridays" when you can bring a guest for free. Since he works out in the early morning, I had to meet him then!
I decided to take full advantage of my free pass in the doors and stay as long as I could. So knowing I’d be gone a while, I had a more substantial breakfast that would hold me over without taking too long to digest.
It was totally delicious and gone in less than 5 minutes!
Here’s the fancy gym. It’s one of only a few gyms in town. The location is right downtown, the gym itself is REALLY nice, it’s got everything you could ever want: a pool, nice locker rooms, two yoga studios, spinning, Body Pump (which I have never tried!)
And a rooftop pool!
The catch is it’s pretty expensive and has a hefty initiation fee too. I’m used to my $25/mo membership at the YMCA that allowed me to join for free!
So here’s how my morning went:
- 5:45-6:30 – Wake up, get ready and eat breakfast
- 6:45 – Drive to the gym (if it had been light out or if I had had company, I totally would have biked because it’s only 2.5 miles away and very convenient! Next time..)
- 7-7:15 – Chat with Stormy!
- 7:15-8:15 – Multi-Level Yoga. The class was just OK. Very calming. I didn’t even break a sweat and was actually covered in goosebumps during savasana! Someone told her to turn down the heat. There is nothing wrong with being a little warm during exercise! I don’t get why people are afraid of it. The class was still a nice way to begin
- 8:20-9:10 – I did a little ellipticaling with BH&G and tested out the weights
- 9:10-9:15 – Debated going home. Debated staying for 10AM Body Pump. Realized there was a 9:15 Ashtanga Yoga class with a MAN instructor (I am partial to men)
- 9:15-10:45 – Decided to stay for yoga!! I’m SO glad I did because it was perhaps the best yoga class I have done in Charlottesville yet. My first Ashtanga class too! I would give the class an A- (Y2Yoga classes get A+s) and I really liked the teacher. ALSO – they have eye pillows scented with herbs! Not a lavendar towel, but since it’s not hot yoga, I don’t think I’d want a cold towel on my face! I find these a bit disturbing since I don’t think they get washed, but I love something covered my eyes for savasana so much that I’m willing to look beyond that a bit.
- 10:45 – Met with member services. Was able to get him to knock down the initiation fee to less than $100 distributed over a year.
- 11 – Joined the gym!
I joined 60% for the yoga, 10% for spinning, 10% for the pool, and 20% for an indoor option in rainy and cold weather. The monthly cost is high, but exercise is super important and I was itching for a bit more variety, esp. with all the rain. I’m happy!
I decided that 11AM would be a great time to get a fancy coffee drink – Pumpkin Spiced!
I like Cappuccinos the most, so I got a Tall cap with 1 squirt of pumpkin spice. That was plenty sweet enough! I was disappointed, however, that this coffee weighed about 1 ounce! I am so not a fancy coffee patron that I have no idea how to order at Starbucks. I can never remember what is what! I needed more liquid in my cup.
So I took advantage of all my leftover foam and brewed a cup of coffee when I got him. Perfect!
I was shocked that my 2/3 normal size breakfast held me over for SO long today. I do think that activity masks appetite, so perhaps it was because I was doing physical stuff for a long time. And the coffee with milk helped tide me over.
But lunch at 1PM was more than welcome!
I took some baby chard from our garden and some fresh tomato and on top, I piled leftover millet mashed with canned pumpkin, a few navy beans and cinnamon (heated) and topped all of that with a delicious runny egg:
Served with lemon seltzer
And now I am going to the grocery store to buy all of the ingredients for a weekend party!
Matt’s making crackers and I can smell them in the oven! I am sad he baked them without sharing a piece of dough. Their dough is awesome.
Tonight is the First Friday Art Gallery Crawl! Can’t wait!