Butternut Squash + Kale Soup
This soup was A-mazing – and a complete last-minute twist on dinner!
- 9 oz turkey breast cutlet
- 1 medium butternut squash (~2 pounds after peeling and de-seeding) (you could microwave this to speed up the cooking process)
- 2 carrots (~6 oz)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small apple (~5 oz)
- A few generous handfuls of chopped kale (~8 oz)
- 1 box of Pacific Creamy Roasted Carrot soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shot of Bourbon Whiskey (optional)
- Seasonings to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cocoa powder
First we browned the turkey in a skillet with the olive oil. Save for later!
Then we sauteed the squash with 2 chopped carrots and 2 stalks of celery and when fragrant, added a box of Pacific Creamy Roasted Carrot soup (see the REAL FOOD tab for more info) as the base. After simmering until the squash was tender, we pureed the mixture with our stick blender and then added the small chopped apple and the browned turkey. Seasonings included cinnamon, nutmeg, chili powder, red pepper flakes and…cocoa powder (just a tiny bit).
Then came the secret ingredient:
Maker’s Mark Bourbon Whiskey! We added it on a whim. I’m not sure if we could taste it, but we could certainly smell it. This is totally optional.
Lastly, we topped the soup with the chopped kale, closed the lid, and let it steam for another 15 minutes or so.
Made 4 servings at 325 kcal each.