Cake day was one of the coolest comparisons we’ve done!
But first, lunch.
I made this delicious wrap yesterday and had been excited about it for the past 24 hours. It was pretty good, but unfortunately the hummus (Cedars Lemon Lovers, I believe) kind of got watery on me. But the flavors were great.
- Lemon hummus
- Red pepper
I also had a Fage with freshly picked blackberries (probably the last of the season!) and homemade granola –
Plus a couple extra red peppers from last night’s dinner –
I managed to eat it all during our 20 minute break!
On to the Cakes
Each group had a different variable:
- No Sugar
- No Shortening (yes, another shortening recipe! I think this lab manual is from the 80s)
- Splenda instead of sugar
- Vegetable Oil instead of shortening
No Sugar and Splenda
No Shortening and Vegetable Oil
And the cross section
- Control (the most brown from the maillard reaction)
- No sugar (lumpy because the sugar uses cohesive forces to spread out the batter; tasted like a biscuit)
- No shortening (crumbly, less browning)
- Splenda (no browning, not very sweet at all)
- Vegetable oil (VERY crumbly – even more so than #3, and some browning)
I ate 4 of the 5 samples.
I’ve been cleaning since I got home and need to do some studying! It is so exciting that I’ll be home for dinner tonight!!!!!!!
Off to make an afternoon snack.