29 Reasons To Be Thankful:
- Pumpkin, Biscoff, beer, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, kale and buttercream frosting
- A [knock on wood] healthy body
- Endless parties and reasons to celebrate
- Charlottesville, Virginia
- A career path even better than I could have dreamed of
- Biking, walking, running
- A supportive and super fun family
- Our beautiful new house
- Stunning mountain hikes, complete with picnics
- Wonderful friends, real and virtual
- Mother Earth
- Delicious foods to be eaten all the time
- Grandparents, antiques and other things appreciated with time
- Great Harvest Bread Co. and our ability to feed others both for profit and through giving
- The ability to walk everywhere, thanks to legs and location
- Living in the locavore capital
- My laundry room
- Hillsborough, North Carolina
- Nut butters and their sticky goodness
- 4 years at Davidson College, plus 2.5 more spend on a subject I love
- Our entertaining and endearing employees
- Mountains + ocean
- Gossip Girl and House Hunters
- El Tigre, El Lion and Lillis Billis
- Fancy dinners and 10-minute pantry suppers
- Four seasons
- My talk, dark and handsome husband who keeps me entertained and happy everyday
- And you, my dear friends, for making my life happier every day
Today was jam-packed with fun!! At times I felt a little stressed, but I fit in tons of things that I love! Lots of reasons to be thankful today.
Matt and I set out on a simple hike on the Monticello Trail today. LOVE that trail! We talked about only fun subjects: beer brewing equipment of our future and the Meyers Briggs personality test.
We finished our hike at 12:15 – and had a lunch date at 12:30 with some friends. Mind you I had still not showered!!!
20 SPEEDY minutes later, I had showered and we biked over to Feast for lunch.
I had the soup/salad combo: Polyface chicken salad with a farro + mushroom soup on the side
Excellent lunch because it was shared with so many great friends!! M, G, S, S, M and Karen, who is back from a 10-day bike trip in Italy!
After lunch most had to go back to work, but Sara was up for a little shopping!
We headed to Roxie Daisy, a new store downtown that always catches my eye on the way home from the gym.
SO many gorgeous vintagey things!!
I ended up chatting with the owner for a while [who gave me permission to photograph the store]
and I bought this AMAZING candle that I am describing as the smell “Handsome Man’s Neck” because it smells just like a cologne! Officially called Leather Mahogany!
I also couldn’t resist buying a twin pair of numbered votive holders – a 2 + 6! Left the amazing preserved boxwood balls at the store, as they were a bit over budget, but still love them.
Next stop was Sweet Frog for a little sweet dessert and a stroll along the mall!! Thanks to Sara for treating – the total was 6.62!
On my tour de birthday, I booked a mani/pedi at Cville’s “Best Of” spa – Oasis.
This was a bit of a splurge, but I definitely felt it was worth it. It was the most “attention to detail” pedi I’ve ever gotten and I very much appreciated that! Also, very very clean.
I chose muted fall colors by Essie – Bangle Jangle and something on the rocks?
My appointment lasted most of the afternoon and I raced home to greet Matt and Amanda, from Great Harvest, who is here tomorrow to check in hang out.
Matt gave me my birthday gift – this gorgeous pair of earrings!!! His gift speech reported eyeing these earrings since last Christmas and waiting for a good enough reason to buy them. I guess 29 years is pretty important! I love their funky design!
We gussied up and headed out to dinner
To Fleurie, a very fancy French restaurant we had yet to try. The night was extra sweet because our wonderful realtor, Karan Ball, gave us a generous gift certificate as a house warming gift!!
Our night was celebrated with glasses of red and cheers to another year of wisdom.
We started our eating adventure with an amuse bouche of Cod in a potato cream sauce – yum! A preview of my main course to come!
We shared a starter that caught my eye when I previewed the menu this morning – Gnocchi with Arugula and Spiced Pecans in a BLUE D’AUVERGNE SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! [If you’re not familiar, I am obsessed with that bleu cheese!] The dish was incredible – the bleu plus the pillows of gnocchi plus the spiced pecans were just amazing.
We contemplated another glass of wine and in the discussion of Matt possibly getting another glass we ended up doing a 3 tasting wine flight that ended with each of us getting a glass of an amazing buttery chardonnay that went perfectly with our fish entrees.
Cod with a Parsley and Lemon sauce and gnocchetti for me. This was really good – the cod flaked perfectly with a fork and the gnocchetti were just the right level of browness and pillows
But Matt’s lobster over lentils stole the show. Really buttery outstanding!!
For dessert we shared Dacquoise with cardamom buttercream and espresso ice cream. Maybe my favorite bite of the night!?
And then………dessert bites compliments of the chef!! I had watched two other tables receive these and was really crossing my fingers every table got to taste them. We were lucky – my wish came true!
Cherry Almond cake, lemon meringue and chocolate ganache. Yum!!
And beautiful birthday to spend in love!
Thanks so much to you all for the well wishes today – it meant so much to me!