Canned Salmon Casserole Recipe
This recipe is really flexible – add what you like – more or less salmon, noodles, veggies, etc.
- 1 can + 1 vacuum packet of salmon (all I had on hand)
- 5.75 oz egg noodles
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup baby spinach (all we had left)
- 1 can of Campbell’s Healthy Choice or Low-Sodium Cream of Celery soup
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 5 saltines
- Cook noodles.
- Chop vegetables and sautée in a skillet with cooking spray until they are tender.
- In a large bowl, mix veggies with salmon, cooked noodles, soup and milk. Put into a large pie dish or other smallish baking dish.
- Bake at 400* for 20 minutes.
- Crumble 5 saltines on top; bake 5 minutes more.
Makes four ~325 calorie servings.
The original recipe calls for butter on top, but I couldn’t taste it at ALL the last time I made it, so I left it out this time and saved 25 calories per serving. The original also calls for 8 oz of noodles, but I didn’t miss the 2 oz I omitted. I really liked the carrots in this – they were sweet and chunky. The green pepper kind of melted away, as did the spinach. I honestly think I could do without the saltines too. Once the portions are served, the kind of mix in with the rest and melt away. And it’s not like they’re contributing much nutritional value. I’d love to hear some other suggestions on what other veggies work well in this (but remember, I HATE onions!!)